Sunday, September 23, 2007

Snorkeling Adventure

This weekend, an area of the navy base which is not normally open for hiking was open. On Sunday, Tara, Liz & Roberto and I hiked down the ruins of the Spanish Steps to Orote Cove. The snorkeling was great. Here are a few pictures of the cove first.










Here are some underwater pictures from the snorkeling portion of the expedition. Some of them are little fuzzy, partly because I am still learning how to use the camera underwater, and partly because the tide was coming in pretty strong, making it hard to hold still and stirring up sand.

The pictures do give idea of the fish and corals under our tropical waters. The pictures of the orange and black clown fish peeking out of the sea anemone are pretty cute. Nemo, of "Finding Nemo" fame is a clown fish. The clown fish will actually come up to you if you hold still for long enough. They are curious little fishies! I also like the purple and green clams, I am not sure if you can tell from the picture, but the colors were almost psychadelic. The colors in general are very brilliant on the reef.

The brain coral were also amazing. There is a lot of life under the water, you would never even know about just from looking out at the view from above.































A picture of me snorkeling!


This last one is Liz and Roberto on the beach adjacent to the cove.



The trip today topped off an eventful weekend. I had hoped to have some pictures of my new cat to share on the blog... However, when I went to shelter to meet the cats and give one a home I got bitten on the hand. It was actually the one I was about to adopt. She was very friendly and came right up to me and rubbed against me. Then she bit me, hard enough to draw blood. Now, I am not a cat novice, I know when a cat is playing and accidentally plays to rough, and this cat intended to bite and hurt me.
So, needless to say, I came home without a furry companion. I have decided to wait until Tommy gets home and we can pick out a cat, or maybe even a kitten together. The experience has made me rethink my stance on getting a kitten. At least with a kitten, I can be pretty sure no one has mistreated it and made it mean. The whole ordeal made me sad and angry at cats in general... and really it just made me miss my sweet, loving Gizmo even more.

5 comments:

KDub said...

Great shots, Aim! Perfect to use w/ my students this year...clouds are big in 4th grade and any ocean stuff if great for the 5th graders! Wish I was there with you!

jzazzera said...

Love the pictures! Especially the underwater shots. Since it is my goal to scuba dive Crystal Lake by my 40th birthday, I nominate you and Tom to provide the lessons! I would love to see the rest of your house....

Amy said...

Karen,
I can take pictures of the clouds and put comments on them about the kinds of clouds and why they form over the island. That could be fun for the kids. I might finally have a willing audience for my explanation of why summer is the rainy season here!

Joy, I dont think there are any psychadelic clams in Crystal Lake... Hey, you can come see the house in person and dive here! I will put up some photos of the rest of the place soon.

apea said...

That looks beautiful and fun!

Sorry the kitty adventure did not go well...I am sure you will find a sweet one. Beware of those like Henry...

Katie said...

So happy that Tom will be home so soon, and love the pic of you underwater.