Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Home again

I am back home from my brief trip up to Saipan in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI). It was a productive trip, but I am happy to be back. I have some pictures from the trip.
This is suicide cliff at the northern end of the island, so named because Japanese soldiers driven there by US forces jumped off the cliff rather than be captured.


Banzai Cliff. A similar story, but sadder. This was the sight of the deaths of many Japanese and Saipanese civilians who jumped to their deaths for fear of capture.


Saipan from the airplane.


Some clouds out over the ocean. This is the rainy season here, I will spare you all the meteorological lecture on why... at least for now.


Two pictures of Guam taken from the airplane as we approached.

And finally, a photo of the view from our balcony... lovely, isn't it?

2 comments:

Katie said...

Travel is exciting, but I bet you're glad to be home too. The photos are beautiful. You are a great photographer, nice to have the blog to showcase that too.

apea said...

Well, I still wish your home was on Glenwood Avenue. But the pictures are beautiful, even if the stories are so very sad.