Friday, June 15, 2012

The Big Day

Yesterday was Tom's Change of Command on ASPEN.  It was a very nice ceremony and very moving.  Roy, who he relieved, was very sad to be departing ASPEN, but also happy to be leaving it in Tom's capable hands.  Here is Rear Admiral Castillo presiding over the ceremony.
 
Tom offering Roy his relief.  I am so proud of Tom.  I was surprised at how affected I was by the ceremony.  Tom has worked very hard for this command, and it will certainly be challenging and rewarding.

Tom and Marian after the ceremony.

 Me and Tom..

 The Captain.

Here I am by the door to my new office spaces.  I have some great people working for me and I am very excited to get started in my duties.  This is going to be a great tour for both of us!

Since we decided to leave O in school during the ceremony yesterday (formal military ceremonies and two year olds don't mix well), Tom took him to the ship today.  Here he is the Captain's Cabin (with the Captain) briefing him on the nav plan.

Wait, I thought that was Daddy's chair!  Hmmm -  maybe I can finally sit in one now too... O looks very comfortable up there!

The Captain and his First Mate..

5 comments:

KDub said...

Congrats to Tom! Best of luck, Captain! O's looking pretty darn comfortable in the capt chair!

Dad said...

Congratulations to both of you! We are really proud of you and Tom. O is sitting in Grandma's old chair, remember that Amy?

Peggy said...

When I told Noah that Tom took command of the ship from the previous captain, his comment was: "cool, did he have to fight him for it?"

:)

Peggy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Congratulations, Tom! And to you too Amy. Enjoy your stay on the West Coast. I think about the two of you a lot. Miss you!