Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New Zealand is Amazing

As promised, some pictures from Sydney.
The Opera House (and us) during the day:



And, at night:


One afternoon in Sydney is really not enough, but when this is what is waiting for you on the other end of the plane ride, who would stay in Sydney any longer than necessary?
That shot was our first glimpse of New Zealand, taken from the airplane.

We spent an afternoon and night in Christchurch before picking up our campervan and heading to the open road. We have no real itinerary, just going where the wind blows us. Our first night we pulled into a camper park at Lake Tekapo in the dark, and awoke to this:

Actually, we awoke at 0630 to the pitch black of night - this photo was taken at 0800 or so.

We hiked by Lake Tekapo to the Mt John Observatory, famous for Stargazing and astronomical research. The views were amazing, especially the clouds over the distant mountains. I could not get enough of those clouds, which I dubbed pilleated lenticular clouds:

In case you need a closer shot:


Here we are at the summit of Mt. John. I love my camera timer.

Tonight we are staying in Wanaka - I am actually posting this from the campervan. Tomorrow we ski!!

I found out tonight that my Grandmother passed away, please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers. I will be remembering her everywhere I look in this gorgeous place, and as much as I wish I could be with my family at this time, I know she would want us to stay and enjoy where we are. As Tom reminded me tonight, Gram loved to travel and spoke often and fondly of her trip to Hawaii. I love you Gram, and I will miss you very very much.

5 comments:

Dad said...

Amy, you are right. Gram would have wanted you to enjoy your trip.

And............. is there room for us in the camper van??

jink said...

AMy - so glad you are enjoying your trip. Take lots of pictures and cannot wait to see you in August.

Love and miss you

jink said...

Forgot to tell you Katelyn and Jenna say hi to Uncle Tom and of course Aunt Amy

Peggy said...

Doesn't anyone want me to take lots of pictures on the amazingly scenic drive through Gary, Indiana??? How about Sandusky, OH?
:)

jink said...

Wouldn't anyone like to see scenic pictures from Richmondale, PA or possibley Carbondale? I cannot understand why not? :)