Friday, July 24, 2009

Katoomba "Bushwalking"

Today we did a five mile hike in the Australian Grand Canyon. The picture below is of rock formation in the canyon known as the "Three Sisters":


The conditions could not have been more perfect - clear blue skies, cool, but not cold and barely any other people around at all. The hike started at the top of the canyon:


The trail (and us on it) descended down, down, down many steps and switchbacks, through a beautiful Fern Glen and then traveled across the top of the valley (right where the sheer rock walls meet the forest in the picture above) to a series of waterfalls:



We climbed back out for the most spectacular views of all. That is Katoomba falls in the background:



Needless to say, I was just about in heaven. AND we saw wild cockatiels (I have no idea if I spelled that correctly). I took lots of pictures, but I will just share this one.


We are staying in an old 1920's style guest house in Katoomba, and it is charming. I like this town, it reminds me of Brattleboro, VT for anyone who is familiar with that town.

Tomorrow we leave for one night in Sydney, then on to New Zealand for the remainder of our time south of the Equator.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Peggy said...

I love living vicariously through my sister. Keep posting!

Marcy said...

This trip looks amazing and I am soooo jealous. Can't wait to see you when you get home!

Dad said...

Well mates, it looks like you are having a bloomin' good time!