Sunday, December 28, 2008

We Love Pohnpei

Well, I love it here.  We are having a fabulous vacation.  After two days of diving, yesterday we took a "break" and went on a five hour hike to see six waterfalls.  We learned that they really mean it when they say "it's a strenuous hike" here.  

It was an absolutely amazing hike.  There were a lot of climbs and descents down a very steep trail, a lot of walking across, up and down the river, swimming in the river, bouldering and generally slippery walking.  Of course, I loved it.  Our guides all did the trek bare foot, and had better footing and better traction than any of us hikers.  

We saw six waterfalls in all.  I have pictures of four of them, which I will post soon.  I did not get any picture of the sixth, and most secluded of the pristine, secluded waterfalls because we had to swim upstream for probably about 50 yards or so to get to it, and I would not risk the camera, even in it's dry bag.

So after that light activity, it was back in the water today.  We did three dives again today, and now we are finished with diving here.  It was incredible.  We dove with 10 manta rays surrounding us, swimming and doing acrobatic feeding loops.  They came within inches.  The mantas a beautiful, graceful creatures.  I, for one, was stunned by them, I believe we all were. 

Tomorrow we have a tour of Nan Madol, the ruins of ancient civilization in Pohnpei.  

The connection is not so fast, so picture posting is slow.  I will load them all up back in Guam.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Cannot wait to see the photos. They are probably the closest I will come to seeing them.

Enjoy the rest of your "vacation". I think you guys do more on your vacations than most people do in real life.

Love you.